Hardcoded Limits - M2TW
Creative Assembly have built in some limits to the games, meaning that modders can not have more than x amount of factions or y amount of units. Limits for Medieval II: Total War appear to be similar to Rome: Total War though some are slightly raised. See also Hardcoded Limits in RTW which may also apply unless a higher value is mentioned here.
General Hard Coded Limits for M2TW
- Max number of crusades at once: 1
- Max number of cultures: 7
- Max number of religions: 10
- Max character name length: 42 (disputed)
- Max number of agent types: 12
- Max ancillaries per general: 8
- Max number of units for a faction available in custom battle selection screen: 200
- Max Unit Entries: 500
- Attack Delay (stat_pri): 1 to 100 see here
- Max mount types: 99
- Max no of exploding_[name]_shot entries: 9 see here
- Max: 26
- Min: ?
- Max: 31
- Maximum number of buildings per tree: 9.
- Maximum number of building trees: 128.
- Hidden_resources list Min: 2 Max: 64
- Max Affects per Trigger: 10
- Max Levels per character type: 9 (0 to 8)
- Max number of regions: 200 (Including number of sea regions)
- Max size of map_regions: 510x510 pixels
- Max size of map_climates: 1021x1021 pixels
- Max size of map_heights: 1021x1021 pixels
- Max size of map_ground_types: 1021x1021 pixels
- Max size of map_roughness: 1020x1020 pixels
- Max size of map_features: 510x510 pixels
- Max size of map_trade_routes: 510x510 pixels
- Max size .worldterrain and .worldvegetation: around 501 rows/columns, see here
- Max no of vegetation models per group (vegetation.db): 4
- tga pages sizes (data/ui/"culture folder"/interface) : 510 x 510