Sweden (ETW Faction)
|Sweden (ETW Faction)|
|From Game:||Empire: Total War|
Sweden is one of the 11 playable nations in Empire: Total War's Grand Campaign. It is also a major faction in the game.
Sweden dominates Scandinavia and the Baltic, a Northern European empire that is the legacy of the incomparable warrior-king, Gustavus II Adolphus. Even though he died in battle at Luetzen in 1632, the army that he created helped Sweden profit from the seemingly endless religious struggles of the Thirty Years War. The nation emerged from that conflict immeasurably stronger in military terms, and able to invade its Baltic neighbours at will. This military power did, however, cost money and Swedish lives. Neither of these commodities are available in abundance, and prudent stewardship has been necessary too. Charles XI, however, has left an impressive arsenal in place for his son, should he wish to take up the sword; and Charles XII has an obsessive interest in soldiering.
As the new century dawns, Sweden is a strong, aggressive state, surrounded by jealous rivals from whom she has taken territory in the last hundred years. To the east, the Russians would like unhindered access to the Baltic, and therefore Western Europe beyond. To the south, Poland-Lithuania wants its lost lands back. To the west, the other Scandinavian nations want independence or an end to Swedish domination of the Baltic.
In all these potential threats, however, lurk opportunities for those bold enough to seize the chance. Individually, Sweden’s rivals are not quite as threatening as they might appear: Russia is huge, that much is true, but incredibly backwards. There is no reason why the Baltic, as a Swedish “Mare Nostrum”, cannot become the basis of a new Northern, Protestant empire. Sweden’s armies are the equal of any in Europe, and her navy is not without resources and skill. With a home empire secured, who is to say that an overseas empire cannot be taken and held too?
Sweden fields a typical European army, similar to that of the surrounding states. The country's army consists of units such as line infantry, light infantry, hussars, militia and several standard artillery units. Later on, Sweden gets access to other units such as guards and household cavalry. If a lower-class revolution succeeds in turning the absolute monarchy into a republic, Sweden will be able to train weak conscript units as well. The Swedish army might not be the most modern in Europe but is generally well-trained. One example for that would be the kingdom's line infantry which has good defense, melee attack and accuracy. In fact, Sweden's line infantry are some of the higher-quality units in the game, worse only to that of Great Britain, France, and Prussia. Sweden also fields larger cavalry divisions than other factions, with some cavalry regiments having 100 men on ultra settings. With its important strengths and no real weaknesses, Sweden's army is definitely a force to be reckoned with.
Sweden is the only major faction to not receive any new units with the DLCs, making it rather plain to play as.
Sweden's navy is nothing special and consists of the standard lineup which most other factions share. The Swedish starting fleet includes weaker warships such as brigs and sloops but also stronger fifth and sixth rate frigates.
At the beginning of the game, Sweden controls four regions and their respective capitals Stockholm, Åbo, Riga and Saint Petersburg. Stockholm is Sweden's most important city and capital. The Protestant kingdom borders Norway in the west, Courland in the south and Russia in the southeast and east. It lies on the Baltic Sea which poses a natural southern border for the country. Sweden is located in the European theater and does not control any colonies in either of the two other theaters.
While the kingdom has become relatively rich due to trade and military success in the Thirty Years War, its population is rather small - compared to major nations such as France at least. Since Sweden is Protestant, Britain and Hannover are friendly towards it. Therefore, alliances with aforementioned nations are very well possible. Unfortunately, Prussia is still hostile with Sweden due to the excesses of the Thirty Years' War and will not likely be a reliable ally. In any case, Sweden requires Brandenburg, Prussia's capital, as a victory condition in the end.
Sweden has some relatively strong armies both at its home region and at St. Petersburg. However, the army at St. Petersburg might do well to stay on the defensive since it is surrounded by the hostile and strong neighbours of Courland, Poland, and Russia. The army at Sweden itself is well-positioned to take over the relatively weaker regions of Norway and Denmark, or, should they choose, wealthy Brandenburg by ship.
The chief danger to Sweden lies in the alliance surrounding it. Denmark, Poland, and Russia are in a triple alliance, and should one declare hostilities with Sweden (or vice versa), it will likely find itself attacked from all sides--as is historically accurate. Sweden must be able to simultaneously defend itself on multiple fronts and expand at the same time in order to prosper as an empire.
Sweden has a fairly decent navy in the North sea, and may have to assist the army in both transportation and ensuring access remains open to Denmark.
Capture and hold 15 regions by the end of the year 1750, including: Brandenburg, Norway, Poland, Muscovy, Sweden, Denmark, and Ingria.
Capture and hold 25 regions by the end of the year 1799, including: Brandenburg, Norway, Poland, Muscovy, Sweden, Denmark, Ingria, Courland, and Karelia.
Capture and hold 100 regions by the end of the year 1799, including: Sweden.
Basics at start
- Protectorates – None
- Allies – None
- Trade Partners – Great Britain, France
- Enemies – Barbary States, Pirates
- Religion – Protestant
- Government – Absolute Monarchy
- Ruler – Karl XII (King)
- Population – 2,756,923
- Prosperity – Moderate
- Prestige – Weak
- Treasury – 7000
- Technology - None
- Missionaries – Thor Sjoland (Finland)
- Rakes – Lars Gathenhielm (Ingria)
- Gentlemen – Christopher Polhem (Sweden)
- Starting Buildings – Barracks, Governor’s Palace, Conservatorium, Cannon Foundry, Settlement Fortifications
- Infrastructure - Basic Roads
- Population – 1,847,230
- Wealth – 6864
- Religion – Protestantism 95.0%, Animism 5.0%
- Starting Towns/Ports – Fagersta Mines (Iron Mine), Vara Farmland (Not Developed), Kristineberg Mines (Silver Mine), Karlstad Forests (Logging Camp), Sundsvall (Logging Camp), Rovaniemi Trapper Posts (Fur Trader), Malmö (Trading Port), Gothenburg (Craft Workshops Smiths), Linköping (Craft Workshops Weavers), Uppsala (School), Karlstad (Coaching Inn), Visby (Fishing Fleet)
- Later Villages/Ports – Luleå (Village), Umeå (Port)
St. Petersburg, Ingria
- Starting Buildings – Army Encampment, Magistrate
- Infrastructure - Basic Roads
- Population – 90,994
- Wealth – 1375
- Religion – Protestantism 30.0%, Orthodox 60.0%, Catholicism 10.0%
- Starting Towns/Ports – Naziya Farmland (Not Developed), Kingisepp Forests (Logging Camp), Staraya Ladoga (Shipyard)
- Later Villages/Ports – Konstradt (Port), Luga (Village)
- Starting Buildings – Magistrate
- Infrastructure – Not Developed
- Population – 416,251
- Wealth – 1664
- Religion – Protestantism 90.0%, Animism 10.0%
- Starting Towns/Ports – Pyhasalmi Mines (Not Developed), Kokkola Forests (Logging Camp), Lieska Trapper Post (Fur Trader), Vasa (Craft Workshop Smiths)
- Later Villages/Ports – Helsingfors (Port), Uleaborg (Village)
Riga, Estonia & Livonia
- Starting Building – Governor’s Residence, Settlement Fortifications
- Infrastructure – Basic Roads
- Population – 402,448
- Wealth – 1150
- Religion – Protestantism 95.0%, Catholicism 5.0%
- Starting Towns/Ports – Vidzeme Farmland (Peasant Farms), Narva (Coaching Inn), Reval (Craft Workshop Weavers)
- Later Villages/Ports – Parnu (Port)
- 4-inch Mortar Battery
- Rocket Troop
- 12-lber Howitzer Foot Artillery
- 24-lber Howitzer Foot Artillery
- 12-lber Foot Artillery
- 24-lber Foot Artillery
- Puckle Guns
- 3-lber Horse Artillery
- 6-lber Horse Artillery
- Line Infantry
- Colonial Line Infantry
- Colonial Militia
- Republican Guard
- Life Guards of Foot
- Light Infantry
- Colonial Light Infantry
- Company Infantry
- African Native Infantry
- Native Musketmen Auxiliary
- Native Warrior Auxiliary
- Native Bowmen Auxiliary
- Dahomey Amazons
- Life Guards of Horse
- Heavy Cavalry
- Colonial Light Cavalry
- Provincial Cavalry
- Company Cavalry
- Regiment of Horse
- General's Bodyguard
- Mounted Tribal Auxiliary
- Colonial Dragoons
- Light Dragoons
- Admiral's Flagship, 5th Rate
- Fifth Rate
- Sixth Rate
- Carronade Frigate
- Light Galley
- Admiral's Flagship, 3rd Rate
- Admiral's Flagship, 1st Rate
- First Rate Ship of the Line
- Heavy First Rate
- Second Rate Ship of the Line
- Third Rate Ship of the Line
- Fourth Rate Ship of the Line
- Bomb Ketch
- Rocket Ship
The only unique unit Sweden has access to is the Hakkapeliita.