TWC Wiki:Tutorial Indexes Project
TWC Staff are looking at transferring the lists of tutorials for each Total War game onto the Wiki. This will mean that Content and other staff, and general members, can all help keep them up-to-date without needing moderator permissions - and the wiki also provides better formatting options (Table of Contents, and sub-headings etc) - and an easier to view 'history' to spot what's been added when...
Once we've got the indexes up-to-date (or at least better than forum versions) we can get stickied threads put in the game sections to direct forum users to the wiki page/s, along with a helpful message about how to get a wiki account to help make updates/corrections. EDITED to add - and have existing threads un-stickied with link to wiki page added at the top.
If you find threads in the tutorials section that you don't think should be there, please paste url on this page; TWC Wiki:Tutorial Indexes Project/misplaced-threads so we can get moderation to look at them as a batch.
1. How much do we try and standardise this, e.g. do we want separate pages for Tutorials, Resources, & Tools for every game regardless of how many (how few) entries they might have?
- A= Trying to get everything on one index page per game - but marking Tool/Tutorial/Resource/Answer see notes template
2. How much to try and standardise topic headings, e.g. Mapping / Units/ Sounds / db Editing? Mak' suspects we could standardise RTW with M2TW; and then probably all the Warscape ones together (though there's probably some oddities like only Shogun allowing new maps?)
- A= Trying to get everything to use this layout TWC Wiki:Tutorial Indexes Project/subject headings - the actual titles of some sections will vary with game, but layout should be the same. (also don't include sub-headings if there's nothing to go in them)
3. Method of handling Tutorials/Tools that apply to multiple games.
- Try to include them on each of the relevant games' lists? (could be more accurate if something applies to 5 out of 6 games only)
- Include them only on a general 'Warscape Tutorials List'? (might be harder to find)
- Stick them on a template that could be 'transcluded' into each warscape game's page? (so they'd only need updating in the one place)
- A= There seem to be slight annoying variations within the warscape games, so relevant ones probably need pasting on each. Modelling or Graphics (e.g. "how to use Photoshop") tutorials that aren't game specific should go here Modelling, Textures and Graphics - Modding Index only.
4. Find someone helpful that knows enough about Warscape modding to identify all the Tools/Tutorials that are common to multiple games! NOTE: Please don't anyone go off and bug modders for help without clearing it with Wiki Director first!
- (we could still do a "Warscape Modding Index" overall page, but as they seem to have variations, that's probably best kept in the Modding Portal sections)
Current status of information is shown by game below.
- Compiled Total War Eras Information
- Index of Modding Tutorials, Resources & Tools (Last Update: 22 Sep, 2011) - title says 2011 but edit record says updated 2014
- List of RTW Tutorials and Useful Tools - Aradan's 2008/9 version
- Modding Tools and Resources and Total War World Catalouges - 2006 thing which is looking like a not so useful early version of Compiled Total War Eras Information
- RTW_Modding_Tutorials_(index) - which was updated 2017 - which attempts to indicate which tutorials might be more useful - moved to Rome: Total War - Modding Index
- RTW Modding Tools - looks like 2011 (history on old category page)
- M2TW Index of Modding Tutorials, Resources & Tools - which says updated in 2018
- M2TW_Modding_Tutorials - which is mainly 2009 - contents pasted to Medieval II: Total War - Modding Index - 90% fixed - not promoted on forum yet - old M2TW_Modding_Tools incorporated.
- ETW Index - which now has link to wiki index
- Links to basic 'how to' guides for new modders - links from this now on wiki index page
- NTW Index of Modding Tutorials, Resources & Tools (Last Update: 21 Dec, 2011) - actually updated 2014 but title not changed
- temporary wiki format version here: TWC Wiki:Tutorial Indexes Project/NTW forum list for checking/sorting/copy pasting
- NTW_Modding_Tutorials - which looks like 2011 but only beginners bits - moved to Napoleon: Total War - Modding Index and Modding Portal content pasted in - NEEDS SORTING!
- TWS2 Index of Modding Tutorials, Resources & Tools (Last Update: 21 Dec, 2011) - which now has link to wiki
- No index - lots of tutorials
- No index - lots of tutorials
Warhammer I/II (TWW)
- Total War: Warhammer - Modding Index by User:Makanyane - now includes everything on Modding Portal list and from threads in Tutorials forum including Tools - needs common stuff from other games - linked from forum
Three Kingdoms (TW3K)
- No forum list - but only 6 tutorials, 2 tools, 2 resources total in workshop section.
Thrones of Britannia (ToB)
- No forum list but only 4 tutorials, 6 tools in section.