Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia
Welcome to Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia on the TWC Wiki
The game was released on 3 May, 2018 for Microsoft Windows and for MacOS and Linux on 24 May 2018.The Total War Saga games are intended to be standalone spin-off titles which concentrate on short pivotal moments in history occurring in limited geographic areas.
Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia has the same structure of real-time battles and a turn-based campaign as the major releases in the Total War Series but is concentrated around one critical flashpoint in history. As described by CA:
- "The year is 878 AD, the embattled English king Alfred the Great has mounted a heroic defence at the battle of Edington, and blunted the Viking invasion. Chastened – but not yet broken – the Norse warlords have settled across Britain. For the first time in nearly 80 years, the land is in a fragile state of peace.
- Throughout this sceptred isle, the kings of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales sense a time of change approaching; a time of opportunity. There will be treaties. There will be war. There will be turns of fortune that become the stuff of legend, in a saga that charts the ascent of one of history’s greatest nations.
- Kings will rise. One will rule."
Thrones of Britannia is set in the British Isles starting in 878 AD and comprises 10 playable factions. The game uses the same 32-bit engine as Total War: Attila.
CA's Thrones of Britannia - Campaign Map Reveal explained the size difference between the Britannia map and the size of the British Isles as they appeared in Total War: Attila. The Britannia map being 23x larger allowed for much greater detail in the coastline and more realistic height modelling.
Provinces in Britannia are still made up of multiple regions, as in Attila, but now only the province capitals have walls and garrisons. The minor settlements in a province still have building slots which allow them to provide food or other resources to the owner of the capital, but do not have their own walls or garrisons.
10 factions are playable in the campaign.
- West Seaxe - an English kingdom with elite sword and spear infantry, whose ruler is advised by the Witan
- Mierce - an English kingdom defended by elite swordsmen and axemen, whose ruler can allocate hoarded wealth
- Gwined - a Welsh kingdom, a land of heroes, with impressive longbowmen and spearmen
- Strat Clut - a kingdom of the Welsh (Celtic Britons) in Strathclyde (south-west Scotland)
- Northymbre - a Great Viking Army kingdom, whose axemen and archers love to conquer
- East Engle - the southern Great Viking Army kingdom, whose axemen and archers relish fighting in enemy lands
- Mide - a Gaelic kingdom whose Fair of Tailtiu boosts diplomacy and public order, with strong swordsmen and Gallowglass axemen
- Circenn - a Gaelic kingdom searching for the Stone of Destiny, with elite swordsmen and good crossbowmen
- Dyflin - Viking Sea Kings who are skilled sailors and craftsmen, with elite spearmen, swordsmen and axemen
- Sudreyar - Viking Sea Kings who excel in sea travel and scavenging in enemy territory, with elite spearmen, swordsmen and axemen
There are also two factions which are playable only in custom battles, not in the campaign
- Normauds - Vikings who settled in Normandy, with a good range of spearmen and swordsmen
- Norse - Vikings from Scandinavia, with many kinds of axemen
Jack Lusted said in an interview with PC Games that the Danes, Norse and Normans (Normauds) invade as a late-game challenge, after completion of one of the long campaign victory conditions.
Unlike previous Total War games, players need to unlock technology trees by constructing buildings, recruiting units or other actions.
- - See main article: Unlocking tech trees in Thrones of Britannia
Reviews and Media
Thrones of Britannia Community on TWC
After Action Reports:
Mods for Thrones of Britannia
Find Thrones of Britannia Mods on TWC:
- Thrones of Britannia Hosted Modifications on TWC
- Thrones of Britannia Mod Threads on TWC
- Thrones of Britannia: Mod Questions & Recommendations
On the Wiki:
Modding Information on TWC:
On the Wiki:
Minimum System Requirements:
- OS: Windows 7 64Bit
- Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 3.0Ghz
- Memory: 5 GB RAM
- Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 460 1GB | AMD Radeon HD 5770 1GB | Intel HD4000 @720p
- Storage: 30 GB available space
- OS: Windows 7 / 8 (8.1)/ 10 64Bit
- Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4570 3.20GHz
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 4GB | AMD Radeon R9 290X 4GB @1080p
- Storage: 30 GB available space