Units: Battle Map - RTW Text Files
Please note this is WIP - other files need adding and am not sure if current format is making this look more complicated than it actually is - help appreciated.
The primary file involved in the definition of units is data\export_descr_unit.txt (known as EDU) - this contains unit statistics and references to other files, the other files are referenced as follows:
Start of typical EDU entry: type warband archer scythian dictionary warband_archer_scythian ; Chosen Archer Warband category infantry class missile voice_type Medium_1 soldier warband_archer, 40, 0, 1.2 officer barb_standard attributes sea_faring, hide_improved_forest, hardy etc.......
- type is used to define where unit is recruited, so 'warband archer scythian' would be used in export_descr_buildings.txt, descr_strat.txt, descr_mercenaries.txt and descr_rebel_factions.txt as appropriate.
- dictionary looks up visible 'in game' text descriptions in data\text\export_units.txt and also the unit cards in data\UI\units\faction and data\UI\unit_info\faction
- soldier line references the type line in descr_model_battle.txt, this in turn defines the model (.cas), texture and sprite used for the unit.
- officer again references a type in descr_model_battle.txt, in this case a single man normally used as a standard bearer for the unit, one unit can have up to 0 - 3 officers.
FOR CAVALRY, as above except:
Start of typical EDU entry: type barb cavalry dacian dictionary barb_cavalry_dacian ; Barbarian Cavalry category cavalry class light voice_type Medium_1 soldier barb_cavalry, 27, 0, 1 mount medium horse mount_effect elephant -8, camel -4 attributes sea_faring, hide_forest
- soldier again references descr_model_battle.txt but is only the man sitting on top of the mount (horse etc) this man needs an appropriate skeleton type to sit on, not through horse.
- mount this references the type line in data\descr_mount.txt eg:
Start of typical descr_mount.txt entry: type medium horse class horse model horse_medium radius 1.5 x_radius 0.57 ;changed from 0.5 29/4/05
the model line in descr_mount.txt then references a type line in descr_model_battle.txt
FOR SIEGE ENGINES:
Start of typical EDU entry: type barb ballista dacian dictionary barb_ballistas_dacian ; Ballistas category siege class missile voice_type Light_1 soldier barb_crew, 12, 2, 0.9 engine ballista attributes sea_faring
- soldier again references descr_model_battle.txt in this case for the men manning the siege weapon.
- engine this references the type line in data\descr_engines.txt
Start of typical descr_engines.txt entry: type ballista culture all class ballista projectile ballista engine_model_group normal engine_skeleton ballista engine_collision data/models_engine/Ballista_very_low_LOD.CAS engine_model data/models_engine/Ballista.cas, 20.0 engine_model data/models_engine/Ballista_med_lod.CAS, 40.0 engine_model data/models_engine/Ballista_low_LOD.CAS, 120.0 engine_model data/models_engine/Ballista_very_low_LOD.CAS, max
in this case there is no reference back to DMB for the engine, the model is defined in descr_engines.txt and the texture is called by the default for the model, there is not a sprite for the siege engine itself.
See also The Complete EDU Guide (WIP) - Guide to EDU for RTW on the Guild