- 1 M2TW Example
- 2 RTW Example
- 3 Barbarian Invasion Example
- 4 Breaking it down, What it all this means:
- 5 See Also
The "descr_sm_factions.txt" is an important file in Medieval 2 total war, it determines various features of the various factions in-game, such as whether they are available in custom battles or not, what faction symbol to show on the loading screen and several other things. An example entry from the file is shown below:
faction portugal culture southern_european religion catholic symbol models_strat/symbol_portugal .CAS rebel_symbol models_strat/symbol_rebels.CAS primary_colour red 215, green 0, blue 0 secondary_colour red 255, green 210, blue 0 loading_logo loading_screen/symbols/symbol128_portugal.tga standard_index 12 logo_index FACTION_LOGO_PORTUGAL small_logo_index SMALL_FACTION_LOGO_PORTUGAL triumph_value 5 custom_battle_availability yes can_sap no prefers_naval_invasions yes can_have_princess yes has_family_tree yes
Typical example from RTW 1.5:
faction macedon culture greek symbol models_strat/symbol_macedon.CAS rebel_symbol models_strat/symbol_greek_rebel.CAS primary_colour red 0, green 0, blue 0 secondary_colour red 255, green 75, blue 0 loading_logo loading_screen/symbols/symbol128_macedon.tga standard_index 4 logo_index 239 small_logo_index 253 triumph_value 5 intro_movie fmv/intros/greek_intro_640x480_bars.wmv victory_movie fmv/victory/greek_outro_320x240.wmv defeat_movie ata/fmv/lose/macedon_eliminated.wmv death_movie fmv/death/death_macedon_grass_320x240.wmv custom_battle_availability yes can_sap yes prefers_naval_invasions no
Barbarian Invasion Example
Typical example including hording:
faction goths, spawns_on_revolt ostrogoths culture nomad symbol models_strat/symbol_goths.CAS rebel_symbol models_strat/symbol_nomad_rebel.CAS primary_colour red 247, green 73 blue 2 secondary_colour red 0, green 0, blue 0 loading_logo loading_screen/symbols/symbol128_goths.tga standard_index 9 logo_index 238 ; Index into strat3.rsd small_logo_index 252 ; Index into shared.rsd triumph_value 5 intro_movie victory_movie fmv/victory/goths_win.wmv defeat_movie fmv/lose/goths_eliminated.wmv death_movie fmv/lose/goths_eliminated.wmv custom_battle_availability yes horde_min_units 60 horde_max_units 100 horde_max_units_reduction_every_horde 20 horde_unit_per_settlement_population 300 horde_min_named_characters 4 horde_max_percent_army_stack 80 horde_disband_percent_on_settlement_capture 33 horde_disband_percent_on_settlement_capture 50 horde_disband_percent_on_settlement_capture 100 horde_unit steppe horde horse horde_unit steppe horde spearmen .... can_sap yes prefers_naval_invasions no
Other Options for Faction line in BI
Factions in BI can also be assigned, spawned_on_event, spawned_on_revolt, shadowing & shadowed_by the explanation of what some of those do can and how a horde faction is set up can be found in Hording and Emergent Factions - RTW/BI
Breaking it down, What it all this means:
- This is the faction the data applies to.
- The culture group the faction is a part of, this determines what UI it uses and the character portrait set that characters from that faction will use.
- The faction's religion. - not used in RTW/BI
- What faction symbol the faction will use.
- The main colour of the faction (this determines the middle colour within the border lines on the stratmap, not the colour of stratmap and battlemap models, it also determines the colour of deployment zone borders on the battlemap).
- The secondary colour of the faction (this determines the outer colour of the border lines on the stratmap).
- Determines the symbol displayed on loading screens when entering a battle with that faction or loading a campaign.
- Position of the factions logo in the UI interface files, as defined in the .rsd (RTW/BI) or .sd (M2TW) files.
- Position of the smaller faction logo in the UI interface files, as defined in the .rsd (RTW/BI) or .sd (M2TW) files. This is the smaller version used in the faction strength graphs and diplomacy view etc.
- The reference to which position on the banners/symbolsX.tga.dds files the faction uses for its strategic map standard logo.
- ? Possibly not used.
- Whether or not the faction can be used in custom battles (There is a limit of 20 factions that can be displayed on the custom battle "choose faction screen", any more will not show up unless others are removed.
- Whether the faction cap sap in seiges (used in RTW and BI, present but not functioning in M2TW)
- Whether the faction prefers to use naval invasions, important for island nations or factions without much room to expand in their local area (such as spain, portugal and sicily)
- If the faction can have princesses (must have appropriate stratmap models) - not used in RTW/BI
- Whether or not the faction has a family tree (In vanilla only the Papal States has this, the faction leader must be determined through scripting otherwise the faction will be leaderless when their first leader dies). - not used in RTW/BI
Emergent Factions in M2TW for section to add if emergent faction is required.