If you have a message for me, please leave it here. Tango12345 09:11, 18 September 2011 (MDT)
Expansion of information (not opinion)
Thanks for the heads up, I'll get to work on it as soon as I have time. I do wish that you or another admin had contacted me about this a couple of months earlier though, I was assuming that this wiki was half-abandoned due to the lack of activity here and took the matter into my own hands. Sorry for the inconvenience, and let me know if I can be of any assistance.
Frederick 14:29, 18 September 2011 (MDT)
"Details" sounds most appropriate. I was thinking that unit overview sounded awk. after using "overview" myself. Frederick 17:29, 21 September 2011 (MDT)
In Empire (as I'm sure you know) there are three government types with their own advantages and disadvantages, but I cannot find a page for government types. Should I create one? Same goes for how experience works (their bonuses and the number of kills required to attain them), the technology tree, unit firepower, company strength, upkeep cost, training costs, etc. These are all statistical information that I believe would help lead to a more informative wiki. Frederick 08:54, 12 October 2011 (MDT)
I was thinking more along the lines of reformatting and standardizing the information boxes of the unit pages to include such information, rather than create a new page for them altogether. Frederick 07:12, 19 October 2011 (MDT)
People still edit this thing? Frederick 18:01, 13 April 2012 (MDT)
Got it :D Aikanar 04:18, 15 November 2012 (MST)
I am grateful for your offer, but this wiki seems pretty dead to me with little to no contributions (unless I am missing something huge in editing outside of pages related to Empire: Total War). At this point I don't think there's much I can do for this wiki even if I am made an official editor.
Frederick 08:23, 11 December 2012 (MST)
Sounds like a deal. Happy editing! Frederick 10:46, 25 December 2012 (MST)
I deleted my comment as I felt that it was too harsh and also because I did notice some minor changes to the pages I was following in my absence. So you're right. This wiki's not dead. It's still not as active as I would like, though. If the offer's still open (and it's fine if it's not), I'd like to join if this wiki ever picks up steam. Frederick 16:32, 14 March 2013 (MDT)
Regarding registration and information reorganizing
No, I do not have a TWC account.
I find the tables for the units highly lacking. For one, they only display the amount of units on ultra settings. Would it be too much to make a note on the side that "This is on ultra settings"?
Secondly, the tables do not display unit statistics, making it hard for users to evaluate and compare units.
I also think that this wiki could benefit from a technologies page, as well as a buildings page. We have disagreed before on this; your reasons for not including more information along these lines were that it would be difficult to implement, that modders can change statistics, that some values do not show up, and that tech and building information can by added to the Empire: Total War page.
1. I'll do all the writing and organizing for the information if need be, so there's no need to worry about difficulty in implementation
2. Modders can change any aspect of the game, including unit sizes and recruitment requirements, but we still put up unit sizes and recruitment requirements on the individual unit pages. Adding vanilla, unadulterated information is useful for those who do not mod this game (which I daresay is a majority of people who play this game).
3. Some values do indeed not show up, but most do. It's better to add the information we know and add that there are unknown values than to not have any information at all.
4. There are dozens of technologies in ETW; many crucially change the game. There is definitely enough information to warrant a technology page without it looking like a stub. Besides, the ETW page is already very, very long and convoluted.
Frederick 09:36, 26 March 2013 (MDT)
Re: Various responses
Editing articles so that they are consistent in format is in no way irrelevant. It makes it easier for readers to find the information they need as they do not have to stumble through personalized, uniquely formatted page upon personalized page.
Unit sizes are also altered very often in mods. Should we go ahead and delete the unit size information on every page in order to avoid self-contradiction, then? Unit stats are always the same for the player regardless of difficulty; it is the enemy AI stats that change, and that is of lesser to no concern to the player.
I'll start working on a tech page later today, thanks for the green light. I'll leave the building information for further consideration Frederick 09:46, 26 March 2013 (MDT)
Where on earth did I say that the unit pages as they are are inconsistent? I was simply arguing that consistency is by no means pointless.
If we're going to talk about unit guidelines with regards to how players would find them useful in combat, then I'd say that range is just as important. It's important to know that rangers have 90 range to line infantry's 70 to riflemen's 125 as it completely changes how a unit is useful in relation to others.Frederick 11:32, 26 March 2013 (MDT)
So after trying to resuscitate the failed disaster that is Total War Wikia and being shut down by their control freak admin, I'm both happy and resigned to say that I'd be more than willing to join the TWC staff as this wiki now offers the best community for me to share my knowledge with other Total War fans. I've registered for the forums, but apparently I cannot post anything. Is this normal? My handle on the forums is Brainwasher5. Frederick 10:06, 11 April 2013 (MDT)
It tells me that it has to check for inappropriate words and URLs or something along those lines. Frederick 21:47, 11 April 2013 (MDT)
Hiya, I've been starting to have a play with a proposal for the main page in User:Makanyane/sandbox - the basic idea being that some of the things on there that are meant to be updated regularly (like the modding spotlight and new mod releases etc.) aren't actually getting updated... and never have been, including way back when, when I was attempting to run it! Sooo I was wondering about trying to expand the sections for the Total War games to try and take up most of the space, so there's not so much obviously old stuff on there. Proposal probably needs pics for each of the games and obviously the text and links sorted, but wondered what you thought of the general idea, or if you had any alternative ideas for it? thanks Makanyane 00:30, 19 December 2013 (MST)
- Thanks for the reply, if the mods bit and the Arts Portal are going to be dealt with soon, then that solves most of the problems with the main page looking out of date, so there's no need for a major redesign, but, please, please, pretty please, replace PKH in the mod spotlight soon! Or I'll definitely take unilateral action on that one...
- On subject of the main page - you probably noticed I changed protection level to sysop only... that was only because some of the spam accounts that appeared mid November, where GED deleted the actual pages, he didn't get round to banning all the accounts, and a couple made a come back and spammed the main page, so I sysoped it as a temporary measure. If anyone can get round to checking/banning the accounts linked to in http://www.twcenter.net/w/index.php?title=Special%3ALog&type=delete&user=&page=&year=&month=-1&hide_patrol_log=1 for that period, then the remaining active accounts should be relatively OK now he's restricted new accounts to forum users, and the protection level can get reduced back... I keep contemplating trying to go through that log but there's rather a lot of them! (and thanks for splatting the account for the 'online games' one I missed!) Makanyane 13:50, 20 December 2013 (MST)
- Thanks for the reply again, have swapped PKH for The Great War, and will try and change Akthross for something else soon... Am having one general problem with editing; if I try and preview or save a page with a resized image, i.e.[[File:Example.jpg|200px]] type thing, it doesn't go anywhere and I just eventually end up with a "Website is offline" message. Can you please try that and see if it's just my computer or if there's a general problem with it that needs GED's attention! Thanks Makanyane 03:01, 22 December 2013 (MST)
- If you wonder why it looks like I nuked most of the wiki users, some of those November spammers made a reappearance with new pages, so I made a start on blocking them, have gone through GED's deletion logs, starting at 12th Nov, and got as far as back as 5:39 on 11th Nov... very, very boring... Makanyane 09:22, 22 January 2014 (MST)
- Sorry I explained badly, the ones I spotted returning weren't banned at all. GED just deleted the spam pages, without banning so they're not in the block log. I noticed them returning as they'd tried recreating the deleted pages. Anyway we've covered some more of them, and extending the other blocks was good idea. Makanyane 04:13, 23 January 2014 (MST)
Some old contentless modding pages
The totally blank never had any content stuff should be deleted (I did) - the 'batch' file, has some merit, but isn't actually the best way to do it, and name is wrong - we could do with a "setting up M2TW for modding" page, which could include that shortcut info as one option... I'll see if I can get round to doing one. Clean up process is looking good :) Makanyane 02:24, 2 February 2014 (MST)