The Great War
From TWC WikiJump to navigationJump to search
|The Great War|
|Napoleon: Total War|
|First World War|
Forum / Thread
The Great War mod is a total conversion project for Napoleon: Total War. It aims to create an authentic representation of World War I-era formations, tactics, strategies and general warfare.
- Revamped land warfare. While waves of battalions advance under the cover of massed artillery barrages and deadly chlorine gas, or stay hidden behind their earthworks, machineguns brutally mow down uncareful attackers. Complex defenses are manned by thousands of troops, armed with rapid breech-loaded rifles. SMG Infantry, flamethrowers, snipers and elite formations attempt to break the stalemate, while the sheer industrial output of all combatting nations - and the density of forces along most fronts - ensure that advances are measured in metres, not in the grand distances of earlier days. Commanders must learn to control massive battles, where audacity and wit must overcome seemingly impossible odds.
- Reworked naval warfare. Dreadnoughts rule the waves in the grand collisions between two of the world's mighties navies, while cruisers and destroyers launch raids on ports and merchant shipping, gradually forcing nations into starvation and resource shortages. Battles are carried out at long ranges, with the biggest metal titans bolstering an impressive and unprecedented firepower.
- New campaign. The German Empire has been forged together by the military strength of Prussia and her allies, and is on the verge of becoming a superpower. Italy has become a great military power since her unification. Ambitious and wise leaders have led their nations to industrial might, and most of the grand powers are able to muster the immense manpower required to drive the machines of a truly Total War, but must still learn to adapt and evolve to survive. Armies of confident and convinced conscripts are raised in an instant, while artillery is being manufactured in great facilities on a scale never witnessed before in the history of mankind.
- Scale. Battles are fought with thousands - sometimes tens of thousands - of soldiers, and casualties are measure in roughly equal numbers. Users have frequently noted the deadliness of early 20th century warfare: campaign casualties rising into the 300,000s have been observed for single nations.
- Impression. The artillery barrages, explosions and clouds of dense and poisonous gas help create a feeling of awe and truly exposes the capabilities and wonders of the warscape engine. Watch battalions evaporate under whithering shelling, melt away in green-coloured chlorine gas or be turned into piles of corpses in front of enemy positions.
- .Mitch. - Team Leader, Startpos (Campaign), General Features
- Aanker - Naval Warfare, UI (HUD), Artwork, General Features
- BDIZZLE356 - Equipment, Weapon, Artillery and Vehicle Models
- King Sama - Faction Diversity, Machineguns and General Features
- LuckyLewis - Screenshots
- 'The Hedge Knight (formerly Josst) - Effects, AI, Unit Cards and General Features
- Audacia - Videos, Screenshots, and Research
- Crossjon - General Features, Units, Research
- Pvtgunny - General Features, Research
- Thoragoros - Former Team Leader, Founder, AI