TWC Wiki:Tutorial Indexes Project
TWC Staff are looking at transferring the lists of tutorials for each Total War game onto the Wiki. This will mean that Content and other staff, and general members, can all help keep them up-to-date without needing moderator permissions - and the wiki also provides better formatting options (Table of Contents, and sub-headings etc) - and an easier to view 'history' to spot what's been added when...
Once we've got the indexes up-to-date (or at least better than forum versions) we can get stickied threads put in the game sections to direct forum users to the wiki page/s, along with a helpful message about how to get a wiki account to help make updates/corrections. EDITED to add - and have existing threads un-stickied with link to wiki page added at the top.
If you find threads in the tutorials section that you don't think should be there, please paste url on this page; TWC Wiki:Tutorial Indexes Project/misplaced-threads so we can get moderation to look at them as a batch.
1. How much do we try and standardise this, e.g. do we want separate pages for Tutorials, Resources, & Tools for every game regardless of how many (how few) entries they might have?
2. How much to try and standardise topic headings, e.g. Mapping / Units/ Sounds / db Editing? Mak' suspects we could standardise RTW with M2TW; and then probably all the Warscape ones together (though there's probably some oddities like only Shogun allowing new maps?)
3. Method of handling Tutorials/Tools that apply to multiple games.
- Try to include them on each of the relevant games' lists? (could be more accurate if something applies to 5 out of 6 games only)
- Include them only on a general 'Warscape Tutorials List'? (might be harder to find)
- Stick them on a template that could be 'transcluded' into each warscape game's page? (so they'd only need updating in the one place)
4. Find someone helpful that knows enough about Warscape modding to identify all the Tools/Tutorials that are common to multiple games! NOTE: Please don't anyone go off and bug modders for help without clearing it with Wiki Director first!
Current status of information is shown by game below.
- Compiled Total War Eras Information
- Index of Modding Tutorials, Resources & Tools (Last Update: 22 Sep, 2011) - title says 2011 but edit record says updated 2014
- List of RTW Tutorials and Useful Tools - Aradan's 2008/9 version
- Modding Tools and Resources and Total War World Catalouges - 2006 thing which is looking like a not so useful early version of Compiled Total War Eras Information
- RTW_Modding_Tutorials_(index) - which was updated 2017 - which attempts to indicate which tutorials might be more useful - moved to Rome: Total War - Modding Index
- RTW Modding Tools - looks like 2011 (history on old category page)
- M2TW Index of Modding Tutorials, Resources & Tools - which says updated in 2018
- M2TW_Modding_Tutorials - which is mainly 2009 - contents pasted to Medieval II: Total War - Modding Index - User: Makanyane attempting
- M2TW_Modding_Tools - which was partially updated 2018
- Links to basic 'how to' guides for new modders - links from this now on index page
- ETW Index - tutorials and resources links on index page - tools to do
- There's lots of threads in tutorials section - and from here on the tutorials sections aren't divided into sub-categories!
- ETW_Modding_Tutorials - text was updated 2012 - moved to Empire: Total War - Modding Index - DONE as far as poss
- ETW_Modding_Tools - info moved page redirected to Index
- Category:ETW Modding Resources - info moved page redirected to Index
- NTW Index of Modding Tutorials, Resources & Tools (Last Update: 21 Dec, 2011) - actually updated 2014 but title not changed
- temporary wiki format version here: TWC Wiki:Tutorial Indexes Project/NTW forum list for checking/sorting/copy pasting
- NTW_Modding_Tutorials - which looks like 2011 but only beginners bits - moved to Napoleon: Total War - Modding Index and Modding Portal content pasted in - NEEDS SORTING!
- TWS2 Index of Modding Tutorials, Resources & Tools (Last Update: 21 Dec, 2011) - actually showing 2014 edit...
- Total War: Shogun 2 - Modding Index by User:Akar - needs tools incorporated or sorted out on own page
- No index - lots of tutorials
- very short list was on Modding Portal - now pasted to Total War: Rome II - Modding Index - User:Akar to look at next
- No index - lots of tutorials
Warhammer I/II (TWW)
- No index list - lots of 'resources' a few tutorials
- short list on Modding Portal
- Total War: Warhammer - Modding Index by User:Makanyane - now includes everything on Modding Portal list and from threads in Tutorials forum including Tools - needs common stuff from other games
Three Kingdoms (TW3K)
- No forum list - but only 6 tutorials, 2 tools, 2 resources total in workshop section.
Thrones of Britannia (ToB)
- No forum list but only 4 tutorials, 6 tools in section.